Sunday 6 December 2015

Remembrance Day Essay



Our senior students participated in the annual  Remembrance Day Literacy and Poster contest. This contest, hosted by the Royal Canadian Legion, involves students in helping promote the national remembrance day service as well as honoring Canada's military heritage. Four of our students won top prizes for their poetry and essay contributions. Below is the essay entry that won first place. 

I Remember
Connor V.

I remember the first time. The first time I delivered the letter. The letter which held heartache for a whole family. The heartache came from that one letter that I delivered. I remember the gray ominous clouds looming over me, the rain dropping heavily from them. I remember going up to the door and ringing the doorbell, the footsteps coming closer to that brown door. The door slowly creaking open. I remember seeing the family, the two little girls clinging to their mother’s side. I remember her face as she recognized who I was and what news I brought. Handing her the letter, I saw the tears that started to roll down her face. I heard the small stutter she had as she asked me, “W-what happened to him?” I remember my reply, “I’m sorry ma’am.” The two kids turned around and asked their mother why she was crying. She replied, “Something happened to Daddy.” I remember those two kids starting to sob as they slowly started to understand that they wouldn't see their dad again. I remember the hug that she gave me as I said, “I’m sorry,” and then hearing the saddest, “Thank- you,” I’ve probably ever heard. I remember hearing the click of the door closing as she slowly turned around, still reading the letter in disbelief. I can see myself turning around and trudging back through the mud to get to my next house.
Upon finishing my deliveries, my thoughts turned back to that first house. I remember it well; the shingles falling off, two little kids playing together happily, a mother cooking supper, all hoping that one person in their life would make it back safe. I remember thinking of how I had just destroyed their family. I know it changed everything. I know because I remember a similar  man coming up to my front door years before. I remember my brother and I listening as my mother spoke to him and then hearing her break down and cry. I remember seeing the letter with my own eyes and reading about how my father was missing in action. Missing In Action. I remember going to my room and crying, crying for hours. I remember my mom coming in to comfort me and telling me that we weren't the only ones to get a letter like this. I remember her saying that we would be alright.

I know how they feel. I now know how that man felt giving us that letter all those years ago. I know the pain. I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment